How to Submit a Student Council Proposal
Submitting a proposal to student council is fun! You’re doing something to change the experience of your school – PCOM San Diego! Great job.
Please follow these steps to submit a proposal:
1. What are you proposing? Select the appropriate form to download:
- Student Council Workshop Proposal Form
- This is the most common type of proposal submitted and it is also the easiest to be rejected due to incomplete information. Make sure to include all the relevant details and explain the event proceedings in great detail.
- Request for Student Council Funds Form
- Use this form if you are requesting funds ONLY. For example, you would like to buy a herb garden for the lounge. The council will not need to do anything but provide money for the purchase
- Student Council General Proposal Form
- If your proposal does not fit into a category, fill in what you can, but let a letter of intent speak for your purpose.
2. Write a brief letter or statement – this makes your argument SO much stronger!
- Imagine you are in front of the council when they are discussing whether they should vote “yes” to your proposal. Try to answer the following questions:
- What benefit or value does this proposed action give to the school or student body?
- Why is this important to you? Is your personal history or story relevant?
- Is there an instructor? Why are they qualified? What’s their story?
- How do you intend to help with implementation?
- Is this something that should be offered on a recurring basis? If so, why?
3. Submit your completed letter and proposal using this upload form!
Congratulations! You have submitted your proposal! Please be patient as our council members are also full-time students. We will review your proposal as soon as humanly possible. : )
Bylaws Excerpt: Submitting a Proposal
This is the only part of the Bylaws that reference proposals (at this time). We abide by this process no matter the type of proposal that is presented to us. Please review the following to understand what is required and what process will follow once you submit the proposal.
“How to Submit Proposal for Funds
In order to designate funds for SC-related purchases by non SC members, a proposal must be submitted to all SC officers that includes the following information:
- Name of the person who authored the proposal;
- Type of project the funding is requested for;
- How the request aligns with the mission of the student council, and how it provides direct benefit to the PCOM student body;
- An itemized list of all items requested, along with the estimated cost for each item;
- Name of the person responsible for oversight of the project.
Once a proposal has been disseminated to the SC officers, all officers will have a period of one week to register their vote, or it is considered forfeit.
Proposals exceeding $150 that receive at least a 3/5 majority approval, but not unanimous approval, may be appealed directly to the student body for approval.
After approved purchases have been made, a copy of all itemized receipts will be forwarded to the SC treasurer. A Reserve amount equal to $1,000 shall be maintained in the SC account.”
Questions about Submitting a Proposal?
If you have any questions about submitting a proposal, please contact your student council members.